Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Blackbeard for Dinner

Sometimes the things that get you through everyday can be as small as a vacation video. I can go weeks without seeing it, but the past couple of days I might have watched it a dozen or so times.



I'm not the kind of person to actually use my vacation or sick days, and I don't have a family that I plan a yearly vacation with. I'm an overworked career woman who flies every other week all over the country for my company to complete projects for clients. So this trip was a last minute thing, in between projects.

I started having these haunting dreams, and needed to get away from everything. I went alone, and since I live in hotels I took my tent for a real vacation camping on the island of St. John in the US Virgin Islands. For four nights I slept a few feet from the most beautiful beach I ever laid my eyes on. I had the birds, sea life, frogs, and National Park employees for company. The best part of the whole trip was the snorkeling with a rainbow of fish staring back up at me around the most bizarre looking coral. I even saw a sea turtle munching on some sea grass after I took a sea kayak to another part of the island. Blackbeard, the cat, joined me at my table for every meal, and a local taxi driver who had a crush on me gave me free rides around the island. Life was simple. The mongoose greeted me every time I took a shower, my biggest worry was keeping the pearl-eyed thrashers out of my food. I would watch them all work together at the local restaurant, stealing when the cook turned his back for a minute. If they didn't get a piece of my dinner, they would settle for a ketchup packet. I love swimming, and I love the ocean, so I spent everyday in the beautiful clear blue water, all day like a mermaid. I read my book, I wrote every night under the full moon next to the water, I tried every flavor of the local rum, and took my favorite three home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment