Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pretty Pink Sparkling Abundant Words

I was helping my niece with her 7th grade English homework last night and was amazed that she didn't know simple stuff like what an adjective was. Always the teacher, I gave her a lesson that should stick with her through college on parts of the sentence, I saw it all clicking in her head. I think I'm the only one to have ever helped her with her homework, something that almost cost me my new car last year when I slid off the icy road near her cabin to bring her Goddess Athena pictures for her school wide project (that she won first place on!).

I first fell in love with adjectives in third grade. I remember them well, because the English language was just something that I spoke until that lesson where Mrs. Perkin's wrote some of the most colorful words of that language on the board. I don't remember the exact words, but they were probably simple, for us to understand. I'm guessing (eyes closed): bright, beautiful, green, sharp, red-haired, alert, abundant, pretty pink words. I love playing with words, and I really, truly love adjectives, something that brings everyday beauty into our descriptive words.

No comments:

Post a Comment