Sunday, December 6, 2009

White Sail on the Horizon

"Down in her soul, the while, she was waiting for something to happen. Like a shipwrecked sailor, she perused her solitary life with hopeless eyes, searching for some white sail far away where the horizon turns to mist. She didn't know what her luck might bring, what wind would blow it her way, what shore it would take her to, whether it was a sloop or a three-masted schooner, laden with anguish or crammed to the portholes with happiness." Gustav Flaubert from Madame Bovary

Flaubert always says my feeling best, and I do seem at a loss for words myself lately. I feel shipwrecked myself, as if everything I knew before was lost, and I see a white sail on the horizon. I'm not sure what that ship holds other than the excitement of the unknown. It won't so much as rescue me, as allow me to join it in it's present and future adventures in places I haven't allowed myself to explore yet.

2 comments:

  1. You just have to risk... to explore.
    ___Your thought caused this sedoka; It is, then, an uninvited parallel to your thought. _m

    vain search
    darkened seas curl
    this trident
    of these masts
    sail a welcome course
    unknown

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I love it, magical words as always Magyar :)

    ReplyDelete